I would say our primary reason for launching on Kickstarter was the marketing potential. I listened to a podcast interview of Seth Godin a few years ago where he talked about his Domino Project and was intrigued. That project shaped my approach to Kickstarter. I wasn't aiming to get a legacy publisher interested but I was aiming to get the word out and generate sales via another platform (since I don't have much platform of my own and neither does Kristin).
We worked on our incentive structure with items ranging from $5 to nearly $200. We offered e-copy and printed copies of the book. We also sold items made for the book. The last prize level we added was a triple pack of the book so we had something in the ~$50+ range and we sold a few of those which was cool. I think having a range of levels was important.
In addition, as mentioned before, having an achievable, low goal was key.
Also key: Facebook. I have been a bit of a social media skeptic but 34% of our dollars were from Facebook links. Kristin is quite active on Facebook and many of her friends are fellow occupational therapists from grad school. For both of us, most of our friends are moms (a perfect demographic). And we have a solid group of friends on FB who were kind enough to support us and share our link. Some have kids with sensory challenges but several folks chipped in because they are nice to us.
We only marketed via our personal FB accounts. I'm not as active but made a conscious effort to ramp up prior to our launch and be on there during our campaign. But FB can smell the self promotion so my posts only got visibility thanks to shares by many close friends.
Perhaps even more surprising than the traffic from FB was the traffic from Kickstarter itself. Based on reading I had completely discounted any traffic coming from the Kickstarter site but in fact another 34% came from various Kickstarter pages/searches. This was particularly obvious right when we launched and we came up first for "Publishing in California" and reasonably high in "Publishing" overall. By the end of the first week you could barely find us on Kickstarter but at the end we got a few hits from their "closing soon" function. And our project is pretty niche so anyone who searched autism or sensory would have found us.
Finally, we did a smattering of other promotional efforts. I tabled at a craft fair which was a bust because foot traffic was slow. We ordered postcards to hand out to friends and family. I know for certain at least one backer came in via the postcard I gave to a co-worker who shared it with his friend from church. And that was basically it.
We reached $1000 (our goal) within the first week and spent the last 2.5 weeks creeping up to $1500 $10 pledge by $10 pledge.
And that's where we sit. We have enough it hire an editor, and we owe her two chapters by the end of the month. Gotta get crackin'.